Skilled and Talented Workforce
Virginians are the Advantage
Time and again, new businesses in Virginia comment about how pleased they are with their hardworking labor force of Virginians. In fact, Virginia facilities consistently earn productivity awards within their organizations. Growing faster than the national average, our workforce stands ready to fulfill present and future industry needs. Virginia offers customized recruiting and training services through the Virginia Jobs Investment Program. As a result of advanced training and education, combined with a vast diversity of skill sets, Virginia's workforce is one of our greatest assets, and one of business's greatest advantages.
Highly-Skilled, Educated and Talented Workforce
Virginia successfully supports its substantial industry base with highly skilled and educated talent. Employers in this right-to-work state find a vibrant, tech-savvy and diverse multi-cultural talent pool growing faster than the national average.
- Virginia is a right-to-work state. At 5.5%, Virginia has the fifth lowest unionization rate in the country and one of the lowest unionization rates in the private sector at 3.0%.
- Population of just over 8 million, and a workforce of over 4.1 million.
- One of the nation’s most educated workforces. One in three Virginians holds a bachelor’s or advanced degree.
- The over 100 Virginia colleges and universities enroll over 500,000 students, and over 60,000 Associate, Bachelor, Master’s and Doctoral degrees are awarded annually.
- Strong occupational and technical training programs designed to meet manufacturers’ needs are provided by the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) through its 23 colleges.
- Over 16,000 highly trained, disciplined and motivated military personnel in Virginia enter the civilian labor force each year.
- More than 20,000 Doctoral scientists and engineers are employed in Virginia—the 10th largest concentration in the U.S. (The National Science Foundation).